Wednesday, April 16, 2014

... prompted by love of Him ...


Yesterday was the first time I renewed my priestly consecration at the Chrism Mass with my brothers in the Atlanta presbyterate, and other priests serving in the Archdiocese, along with Archbishop Gregory and our Auxiliary Bishops, Luis & David. 

Msgr. David Toups, Rector of St. Vincent de Paul Seminary in Boynton Beach, FL, led the priests' day of reflection, with time for prayer and fraternity. How wonderful it is to be with the Lord, and with one's brothers!

In Monsignor's morning reflection, he invited us to meditate on the promises that we would be renewing during the Mass. The line in bold is what caught my heart, and has been with me since then. It is all for love of Christ! Pray for your priests, especially this week!

Beloved sons,
on the anniversary of that day
when Christ our Lord conferred his priesthood
on his Apostles and on us,
are you resolved to renew,
in the presence of your Bishop and God's holy people,
the promises you once made?  
I am.  
Are you resolved to be more united with the Lord Jesus
and more closely conformed to him,
denying yourselves and confirming those promises
about sacred duties towards Christ's Church
which, prompted by love of him,
you willingly and joyfully pledged

on the day of your priestly ordination?  
I am.  
Are you resolved to be faithful stewards
of the mysteries of God
in the Holy Eucharist and the other liturgical rites
and to discharge the saced office of teaching,
following Christ the Head and Shepherd,
not seeking any gain,
but moved only be zeal for souls?  
I am. 
The beautiful prayer attributed to St. Francis:
Absorbeat, quaeso, Domine,
mentem meam et cor meum
ignita et melliflua vis amoris Tui
ab omnibus quae in mundo sunt;
ut amore amoris Tui moriar,
Qui pro amore amoris mei dignatus es mori
 
May the power of your love, O Lord,
fiery and sweet as honey,
wean my heart from all that is under heaven,
so that I may die for love of your love,
you who were so good as to die for love of my love.

No comments: